Behind the Music: Set Me Free

INSPIRATION:
Awe Freedom. No one appreciates freedom more than those who have been held captive. My concept for this song came straight from my work with the CAP team (Cell Adoption Program) ministering to inmates. We have seen many men and women be set free from their sin and life of darkness. Freedom is sweet, especially spiritual freedom, which is followed by mental and emotional freedom when you seek God. The freedom I have, and get to witness others receive when they give their lives to Christ is completely the inspiration for this song.

LYRICS:
"Set me Free" was the first song I wrote for this album. I was just driving home one day so full of joy and thankfulness that my Savior is so good. He makes me want to praise Him, and seek Him, and tell others about Him. I am also praising God for taking down the giants in my life, those things that were too big to conquer on my own. - Nothing stands up to God but all things fall to Him.

You know how kids like to say "my dad is bigger than your dad,". We'll child of God, your dad is bigger, and more powerful than any bully you come up against, what joy and freedom we have when we realize that!

Hallelujah Lord, I will seek your face.
Hallelujah Lord, cause your amazing grace
Saved my soul.  Saved my soul.
So I will shout your name with a voice of triumph,
Jesus Christ you came and you slayed the giants
in my life, in my life.

The chorus is a shout for joy because of the new found freedom we experience when we give our lives to Christ. It is an open, wide, no limits kind of freedom that nothing and no one else can offer. He pulls us up out of the darkness and gives us a new life, a fresh start. That kind of freedom makes a person want to pledge their lives and all they have to Jesus. 

You set me free Lord (you set me free Lord)
You saved my life (you saved my life)
I am yours now (I am yours now)
Endlessly (endlessly)

Verse 2 I get to sing more about telling the world about God's goodness, lifting up praise to Him, and the joy that follows.

Lord I don't deserve it, but you love me still.
So I can't be quiet, no I can't conceal 
Who you are, who you are.
So I will lift up praise each and every day,
Cause you changed my life, and now I can say
I've got joy, I've got joy, I've got joy!
I've got joy, I've got joy, I've got joy!

PRODUCTION:
I wanted the production on this song to convey an open, happy, joyful feel. It naturally took on a global vibe which is right in line with our God who came to save ALL people. I wanted to deliver the vocals with an open joyful sound, which is surprisingly tricky under the glaring light of recording. Every little detail is obvious.  It was hard to be/sing open, free, and still controlled and meticulous. Generally, we alternate between those two sides of our brain!  But, thank God, after a little adjusting I was able to deliver  a sound and feel the song needed. I hope you agree. :)

What can I say it is a pure joy song. It is a celebration of a new life, a life of freedom and joy, all thanks to God and His son Jesus Christ. If you don't know, you better ask somebody!!

LISTEN TO:  "Set me Free"
online   online  

Comments