Don't Rush! Just keep moving forward.

As a mom with four kids, my days are busy. On any given day, I will be rushing around between school drop-offs and pick-ups, soccer practice, swim lessons, grocery store, making meals, picking up laundry, ... oh you're thirsty, you need to go to the bathroom, it's your teacher's birthday, did I shower yet, what's going on tonight, oh he'll have to catch a ride home, what time will you be home from work honey, is the house clean???  Oh my, my head swirls with my To-Do Lists, and all the upcoming events, and making sure everything runs smoothly in my house.


In the midst of the chaos, I am committed to spending time with God, in the secret place, the peaceful place where it's just me and God. As I break away for a walk, to talk with God, He often rewards me with things I see on my walk.  They are little reminders from Him. Today, as I turned the corner I was stopped by a small creature on the sidewalk.  Not just one little snail, but at least ten snails slowly made their way across the sidewalk in front of me.  

As I stopped to take a picture, God spoke to my heart, "Don't rush. Just keep moving forward and you will get to where you're going." Amen. God knows with all my rushing around, there are days I feel like a failure, the weeks my house looks like a hurricane hit it, the moments I messed up. But He reminds me to slow down and just keep moving forward.  

The slow steady pace of the snail, moving across the sidewalk, slowed me down. Its movements were so slow, so low to the ground, that you could barely notice any progression. Yet, it was moving. Normally I would shout, "hurry up!" to the snail (or maybe my kids). Get moving if you want to get things done!! But, some days I get stuck. It feels like I haven't made any progress with my kids, with my husband, with my work or ministry, and with my relationship with God. Yet, even small movements in the right direction will get us closer to our goals and our destination.

So be encouraged today. God created the snail, who never rushes, yet gets to where he's going. God can do the same for you. There's no need to rush, panic or worry. Just keep moving forward.

Comments