Behind the Music: Lead me to Love

INSPIRATION:
Love. Pure, uncomplicated, perfect love. The kind we all hope for, long for, and can all receive from God. As a married Christian woman I see very clearly the parallel between my relationship with my husband and my relationship with God. Over and over again in the scriptures there are references, metaphors, and parallels drawn between human relationships and the relationship between God and His people. 

I have been a Christian most of my life. I grew up in a Christian home and have always felt God's presence in my life. But, through the years I lived through many trials/training. I have come to understand no matter what the circumstances, the right answer is always - draw closer to God. When I have done that, I have always grown and learned during the trials.  They trained my faith in God as my protector, my provider, my love, my best friend.  By drawing closer to God I have continued to experience deeper levels of intimacy with Him. I know Him, He knows me.  I trust Him, He takes care of me. I can rest knowing He's got it all and I don't have to carry it. He is the ultimate gentleman. He never makes me carry anything, but offers to carry all my burdens for me. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" - Matt 11:28.  Who is like the Lord?


LYRICS:
I wanted to write a pretty, simple love song, one that everyone can identify with. I wanted to leave all references to God out of it for most of the song. I think by doing that it allows people to connect with this feeling, this idea of intimacy with someone, then make the connection that this ideal love is possible with God. In fact it is what He desires with each of us.

Verse one is about falling in love and how you are just overcoming by that person and want to go with them everywhere. Just hearing their voice sends lightning through your body. It is absolutely the same thing with God.  It is thrilling and energizing and amazing. God always leads to love. 

When I first met you I fell head over heals.
I gave my life to you that was part of the deal.  
I follow you to the ends of the earth,
just to hear your voice speak one word.
I will follow you.  There's nothing else I'd rather do.
You lead me to love.

Verse two explores the beauty of the long term, daily committed relationship. Not everyone gets to experience this kind of love with a human, but everyone CAN experience the beauty of a daily, positive, fulfilling relationship with God. That kind of relationship makes you want just give to your love, makes you want to make them happy, want to bring them joy because of the joy they bring you. Just to be near your love brings you happiness. Everyday?  Come on married people! Okay, even great marriages truthfully may not be this constant, but God is not like man, or woman ;) He never disappoints or lets us down. He is constant, the same today, and tomorrow. So yes, an intimate daily relationship with God makes me want to be near Him each day. God always leads to love. 

You're my everyday. Your the sun in the sky.
You're the air I breath and the reason that I try.
Whatever I can do to bring you a smile.
I will do, just let me stay for a while.
To be near to you, there's nothing else I'd rather do.
You lead me to love.

The bridge talks about how He takes me to new places, but I always trust Him. There's nothing to fear because He's my best friend. He's with me. 

You take me places I've never been.
I always trust you.  You're my best friend.
If you lead the way I'll gladly follow.
I know your hands hold, my tomorrow.

Verse 3 is about the intimacy of resting with my love. No pretense, no putting up a front, just resting, being at peace in the presence of another person shows great intimacy. Realizing there is no need to rush, nothing is more important than just being with my love. It is not an exhausted rest, it is a peaceful resting place; simple and sweet, not complicated or difficult. No need to cling to my love, or worry He'll leave... Because He won't.  "It is the Lord who goes before you.  He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you." - Deut 31:8.  God always leads to love. 

Time is no concern when I wait in your arms.
It's always safe inside and it's sweet like a song.
And there's no need to rush or worry at all.
You'll never leave my side or let me fall.
You're so good to me.  No place I'd rather be.
You lead me to love.

PRODUCTION
This is the only song my producer and I heard completely different. So, lucky for you, you get both versions!  I heard this song simple and sweet as that was my initial intention. So the acoustic version of the song brings that feel to the song. Steve heard it as a more passionate ballad with some great dynamics. I agree it sounds great that way too. Which is your favorite?

Vocally I could sing this song all day, and sometimes I do, cleaning the house, or working about, in
Ike to sing, and this song just makes my soul smile. The ad libs at the end are just pure singers' delight, like scooping frosting with your finger. It couldn't have been more enjoyable to record. 

So now you know the story behind the music.  I hope it Leads you to a deeper more intimate love with Christ. 

LISTEN TO:  "Lead me to Love"
online   online    

Comments