Behind the Music: Love me Anyway

INSPIRATION:
I am excited to introduce you to the new song "Love me Anyway". This song is my tribute to God and His amazing grace and mercy. I wanted to just thank Him for taking me as I am.  He sees and knows all my imperfections and short comings, and He still loves me. 

LYRICS:
The song starts with the reality of the imperfections, shortcomings, and sinful state of being human. Some days I fail completely. I make mistakes, bad choices, and I fall short. But even when I am at my lowest God sees me and loves me anyway. "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." - Romans 5:8.

Imperfect, unclean, not worthy of anything.
I'm broken fall to sin, uncertain, unconfident.
You know me, you see me.
You love me anyway.  Forgive me anyway.


Distracted, wondering, unfaithful, self serving
Impatient, full of pride, addicted, control my life.You know me, you see me.
You love me anyway.  Forgive me anyway.

Many people have said, "I've just done too may bad things". Others try to clean up their act before coming to God.  That is backwards!  God says come to me and I will make you clean.  Come to me and I will make you whole.  Come to me and I will draw out the best you you can be.  "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." - Mark 2:17.

The question is, can you do that?  Can you be that vulnerable to allow God access into our broken, dark, secret places?  Do you really trust God enough to open up that part of you inner self?  Can you let go of trying to control, deny, and hide that piece of you? 

God is not like any man. He can be trusted with every broken vulnerable part of you. He is faithful. He heals, and He loves. God loves you so much He sent his only son to save you. He did all of that knowing you inside and out.  He knows you better than you know yourself.  There is nothing about you that is a secret or surprise to God.  Even in areas that need your repentance, He addresses it with kindness.  "Don't you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can't you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?" - Romans 2:4.  So, there is nothing to hold you back from letting God into everything, every part of you; healing, forgiveness, and restoration await. 

After all of that, we get to the chorus, my favorite part, and the first piece I wrote of the song.  I love the paradox of God's righteousness and His mercy. What amazes me is how God, who is righteous and holy, and the only being truly worthy of judging and justifiably condemning us, is the same being that gives us mercy and grace instead. He could rightfully tell us how terrible we are, but because of His goodness, He chooses mercy. It blows my mind and makes me want to know Him more. Then the more time I spend with Him, the more He speaks to me, the more He repairs me and my broken areas, the more I love Him. He is the only being who will never leave you or let you down. He doesn't fall short of our expectations, or mess up, or cause us pain or frustration. The more I know Him, the more I love Him.

You're merciful, in your righteousness.
Forgiving me, from the east to the west. 
The more I know you, the more I love you.
The more I know you, the more I love you.

The bridge is my invitation to God to explore not just my known areas of weakness, but to search me, search all of me. I trust Him to search my heart and fix or remove whatever He needs. I have learned to trust that. Though it can be hard, I am always better when I allow God access to me, all of me. And you know what?  He loves it. That is just what He wants, He does His best work in us when we allow Him access to all our rooms. Just like a home that needs repair, the best work is done when the construction crew has access to the whole house. The pipes can be fixed throughout; the electricity can work in the whole house. Some repairs are simple; others require more work. But God does all the work, we just have to give Him the key and agree to let Him do what needs to be done!

Search my heart oh Lord, break me free.
Burn it off, this unbelief.
Make me pure, new and clean. 
I am yours mighty King.

All that in one song. :)

PRODUCTION
The production on this song needed to carry the message without getting in the way. I think my producer did a great job of finding that balance. It was a little tricky to find just the right tempo. At first the song was a little slow and I didn't want it to drag. Once we upped the tempo it worked so much better.

The vocals on this song have such a range. The verses are so simple, and introspective, but as we get to the chorus... Oh this song makes me want to sing in my all out, passionate worship, free singing, worship ad lib style.  It is a new found freedom I discovered at my awesome church singing in the choir. Everyone around me was praising at the top of their lungs, and with all of their might and being. For the first time ever I wasn't louder than everyone else, or worried about standing out, or worried that giving my best worship would be seen as showing off. I just worshiped freely, such a gift to me, that I can give to God. 

So now you know the story behind the music.  My prayer is that your failure/sin/hurts/pain will not keep you from God, but God's grace and mercy will lead you to Him.

Comments