Behind the Music: Worthy

INSPIRATION:
This song was born during worship.  As I sing and praise God I find myself wanting to exalt Him and when I would sing "You're Worthy", I would sense God's pleasure.  It if brings God pleasure, that's what I want to do!  

LYRICS:
When I started writing this song I wanted to really dig into what He is worthy of.  If I say you're worthy of everything, what does that mean?  

He is worthy of my gifts.  The talents He has given me, He is worthy of me using them for His glory.  There isn't a gift I could bring Him that would be too much.  I think of Mary, the woman who poured her expensive perfume on Jesus feet.  What a beautiful gift she gave him.  A disciples thought it was too expensive to waste, but He and she knew better.  He was worthy of that gift.  

He is worthy of my praise. We all know people that are difficult to praise because they just aren't worthy of it.  That is never the case with God.  Every time we come to the throne, and praise His name, His works, who He is, there is nothing about Him that hinders our praise.  He is always proved worthy of every good and kind things we can find to say about Him.
He is worthy of my days.  It is easy to see where my priorities are when I look at how I send my days. When I call myself a follower of Jesus, but don't seem to have time for Him during the day, or really any day except Sunday, that just doesn't hold up.  So I say God you are worthy of my days, my time, my busy schedule needs reworked so I can give you the best of me each day. He is worthy of receiving that from me.

When I come to you,
to give you my praise,
You reveal who you are,
and it leads me to say
You're worthy of my gifts Lord.
You're worthy of my praise.
You're worthy of my love Lord,
and worthy of my days.

Worthy is the Lamb,
and worthy is your name.
Worthy is your sacrifice
and worthy is your fame.

He is worthy of my life. God is worthy of directing my life, the path that I take, the choices that I make.  I want to ask Him every step of the way.  But, He is also worthy of my life.  There are many brothers and sisters of the faith who have died because of their belief in Jesus.  Jesus you are worthy of my life.  You are worth it.  “Don’t be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul." - Matthew 10:28
He is worthy of my shame. To stand before God bearing the shame of my sin, He is worthy of that because of His righteousness, but also because of His mercy.
He is worthy of my trust. God has proven Himself faithful over and over again to me.  He tells us exactly who He is in His word.  He is the same today & tomorrow.  We can trust Him.
He is worthy of my pain. He is worthy of any earthly pain we experience on His behalf. “If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first. The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you. Do you remember what I told you? ‘A slave is not greater than the master.’ Since they persecuted me, naturally they will persecute you." - John 15:18-20

In the quiet place,
where I give you my heart
You reveal and restore
each and every broken part
You're worthy of my life Lord
You're worthy of my shame
Worthy of my trust Lord
and you're worthy of my pain

Worthy is your throne,
and worthy is your glory.
Worthy is your power Lord
and worthy is your story.
But all of that is about me and lifting up all that I have, saying He is worthy of that.  But so much bigger than is who He is... He is worthy of all that too!  All too often we see celebrities or maybe a person you idolize, only to find out they have committed some crime, or fallen short in some way.  Well God is soooooo different than any person we hold up on an earthly pedestal.  Jesus is worthy of all the fame and attention He receives. Jesus was a worthy sacrificial lamb.  Jesus is worthy of His powerful name.  God is worthy of His glory and His throne.  God is worthy of His awesome power.  And God is worthy of His intricate, fascinating, story from the beginning to the end.  He is amazing and so worthy of everything.

You're worthy, so worthy my King.
You're worthy, so worthy of everything.
You're worthy, so worthy my King.
You're worthy, so worthy of everything.

PRODUCTION
For my family and those who know me this production most closely fits me.  The whole sound of it wraps you up in this soulful, comfortable, peaceful place.  My producer totally got this on the first try.  
Vocally, this song's verses just flow and are so much fun to sing.  The chorus really calls for the congregation to sing along.  Singing worthy as a group just works so well.

So now you know the story behind the music.  If you haven't already begun to tell God how worthy He is, I hope you will remember this next time you enter in to worship.

LISTEN TO:  "Worthy"

online   online    

Comments